MGB 5-Speed Kit
Kit converts the 1968-1980 MGB to a quiet, durable, all synchronized, overdrive 5 speed transmission. The transmission used in this conversion is from a Datsun 280Z. This gearbox was used behind a powerful, fuel injected 2.8 litre engine in the Datsun, and was durable in that service. Yet, it is 23 pounds lighter than the standard MGB 4 speed. It is 0.864 ratio in fifth for quiet, reasonable RPM cruising.
The conversion requires no modification to the MGB chassis, except to the bolt-in rear crossmember. No modifications are required to the engine.
The kit consists of:
- A billet aluminum rear engine plate with a new crankshaft seal, to replace the original steel plate.
- A modified flywheel, which has been modestly lightened, faced and balanced, with a new flywheel ring gear installed. (Exchange for your MGB flywheel.)
- A new clutch disc that matches the standard MGB pressure plate.
- A rear transmission mount bracket.
- A complete new driveshaft with u-joint.
- A speedometer angle ratio adapter and new speedometer cable to correct speedometer reading.
- A clutch alignment tool.
- All fittings and fasteners required for installation.
- Installation instructions, with color photos for clarity. Instructions include phone number to call if you need technical assistance. Included is a parts list of standard replacement parts that can be purchased locally, should you ever need them (clutch disc, throwout bearing, etc.).
- A pilot bushing.
- A billet aluminum slave cylinder, braided steel, Teflon lined hose, fitting, attaching bolts and push rod.